Grad School in the UK
Ben Prewitt
2004-06-03 01:03:52 UTC
Hello All,

I would like to attend graduate school (postgraduate school) in the UK
starting in the fall of 2005. I have lived in the United States my
entire life and I do not even have a passport.

I would like to study for an MA in international relations ("politics"
at some institutions) in north England, Wales, or Scotland. I have a
3.1 undergraduate GPA from a state university in the southeastern
United States, which I'm assuming would give me a 2:1. I'm planning
on paying for everything myself.

I would like to know the following:

1. How soon should I apply? I already have the paperwork in the
system for a passport, but I'm guessing I'll need a visa. And
speaking of paperwork…

2. What paperwork will I need besides a visa and a passport?

3. Do I need to first make contacts in the department, or should I
just blindly apply?

4. It's been about five years since I finished my undergraduate, so
some of my letters of recommendation might be from employers. Is this
ok, or do the Brits frown on this?

5. Can I expect to complete my studies in one year as seems to be
customary for a taught MA in the UK, or will I need another year
because I'm an American?

6. I have taken several undergraduate and graduate courses since
completing my undergraduate at a separate university. Will admissions
offices in the UK understand this? Should I make a note of it?

7. What do graduate admissions (well, international relations /
politics) look for in a prospective student? For instance, law
schools look primarily at LSAT/GPA. What carries the most weight with
the British?

8. Will my years in the work force work toward my advantage or be a
detriment?

I know this is quite a long list, but if you could answer just one
question it would help me out considerably.

Thank you everyone,
Benjamin
nadeen
2004-06-04 09:41:52 UTC
hi

i am about to finish my HNC in library and information sciene, i would
liek to fo on to do my degree in this subject. i am looking for a
univeristy that i can do this course through distance learning or open
univerity, can anyone help.

thanks