IT to Biology - need advice!
Abhi
2004-11-28 05:11:30 UTC
Hi!
I'm a Graduate in Information Technology, from India. I had a strong
desire to always take up Biology after High School which unfortunately
I couldn't. I realise that it's never too late to be what you can be,
and so I'm contemplating to enroll to a US University and finally take
up a MS in Biology followed by a PhD. I need advice on how to go about
doing this. My education so far has been pretty checkered, a direct
result of not following ones heart and mind!

10+2 - Civics, Economics and Commerce
Undergraduate - Bachelor in Commerce (Honors)
Graduate - Master of Science in Information Technology

So there, I'm not qualified for a Masters Program in Biology as I do
not have the required qualification. I understand that there are
"Bridge Courses" that provide the required qualifications. My request
to the group is:

i. Any information regarding Universities that provide such bridge
courses.
ii. An estimate of how long it can take to finally complete the
Masters course.
iii. Any help, including motivation! ( it's scary to start all over
again!)

Well I can add that I'm pretty sincere about this change and a
hardworking pupil willing to walk that extra mile. I would value any
opinion and advice on how to get there! Help a lost one ;-)

regards,
Abhi
Randy
2004-11-29 17:34:35 UTC
Post by Abhi
[...]
Biology is a huge discipline, the largest of the sciences. A PhD in biology
might encompass very different subjects, from marine biology to botany to
microbiology to genetics to biochemistry to animal behavior. You need to be
more precise about what you want to do.

Why don't you just look at some graduate biology graduate programs that look
interesting to see what courses are required and then identify their
prerequisite courses? That will tell you what you need to know.

Randy
Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu
Abhi
2004-11-30 11:05:28 UTC
Thanx for the follow up. I'm definitely inclinded towards cellular biology.
regards,
Abhi
o***@hotmail.com
2004-12-13 04:25:19 UTC
You might check to get an idea about
the topics on biology ( similar to the biology courses
offered in schools ):

http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/biology.html
From that, you might estimate how long it would take
to finish those courses in school...